Friday, October 16, 2009

Boston Tattoo Convention

I fell a little behind with updating due to a crazy couple of weeks with papers, midterms, photo stories and the end my internship with the Red Sox. The next bundle of posts are the last two photo stories I've done and a couple of images from Game 3 of the ALDS - my last with the Red Sox.

From October 2-4, the Boston Center for the Arts hosted the annual Boston Tattoo Convention. During the October 3rd session, Tiffany Garcia, 37, of Outer Limits Tattoo based in Long Beach, CA spent the first hour of the convention sketching a photo replication tattoo design for a client. The client, Susan Crowe, 35, of Brockton, MA was getting her fourth tattoo as a birthday present to herself.

Tattoo artist Tiffany Garcia, 37, of Long Beach, CA creates a replication of a portrait on tracing paper for her client, Susan Crowe, who is getting the image tattooed on her calf at the Boston Tattoo Convention in the Boston Center for the Arts on Saturday afternoon. Crowe found Garcia online and made an appointment to get the tattoo done at the convention after being impressed by her portrait work. “Getting a portrait is difficult so I wanted to get someone who knew what they were doing.”

Tattoo artist Tiffany Garcia, 37, of Outer Limits Tattoo removes the carbon transfer to reveal the stencil of the portrait her client, Susan Crowe, will have tattooed on her calf. The photo replication is a picture of Crowe’s father holding her as a baby. “It means a lot to me,” Crowe said. “I was the apple of my father’s eye. He was a wanderer, but he settled down in his life because of me.”
Tattoo artist Tiffany Garcia, 37, of Outer Limits Tattoo begins to ink a portrait of Susan Crowe’s father onto Crowe’s calf at the Boston Tattoo Convention at the Boston Center for the arts on Saturday afternoon. Crowe chose to get the tattoo on her calf because she works as an accountant and can’t have visible body art. “I like my tattoos and I hate covering them up, but I also like the money I make,” Crowe said. The portrait is Crowe’s 4th tattoo.

Tattoo artist Tiffany Garcia, 37, of Outer Limits Tattoo uses a photograph of her client, Susan Crowe, with her father as a guide for shading in the tattoo she is inking on Crowe’s calf. The tattoo took approximately 3 hours to complete and is Crowe’s 4th tattoo. “They are addictive,” Crowe said. “Once you get one you go ‘ooo, that looks cool, I want another one’. “
Susan Crowe, 35, of Brockton, MA admires her tattoo as tattoo artist Tiffany Garcia, 37, of Outer Limits Tattoo cleans off the finished product during the Boston Tattoo Convention at the Boston Center for the Arts. The tattoo is a portrait of Crowe’s father holding her as a baby and is meant to be a tribute to her dad, who passed away when Crowe was 13 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment