Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Monumental


I've been meaning to post about my Frozen Four experience for a while. Besides being crazy busy with the Red Sox and the catching up on school work, it has honestly taken until now for the reality of this hockey season to set in. As Ken Elmore, the Dean of Students at BU said, "the campus has been floating." And it's true. Since the team brought back that national championship trophy, everyone on campus has been on a hockey high.


For me, the experience meant a lot more. Ever since I came to Boston University I have wanted to be the beat photographer for the Men's Hockey team. The Daily Free Press puts their best photographer on what is arguable the biggest sport at the school and I wasn't going to to stop until I got the assignment. This season has been more than I could ever ask for. I would have enjoyed the opportunity even if they had been losing every game, but to have chronicled the best team to ever wear scarlet and white on the ice has been more than a privilege.

My experience at the Frozen Four is, and most likely will remain, the defining moment of my college career. I can't imagine any moment in my training as a photographer that will match documenting the games against Vermont and Miami (OH). It was as if there was a bit of magic floating around the arena that night as I captured the tension, the goals and the celebration in what will most certainly become one of the greatest college hockey games ever played. To have witnessed and been part of that game still gives me chills. I was there, I shot the photos and I felt the emotion.

A lot of people have asked me what it was like to be there photographing the Frozen Four and what I took away from it. I never know how to answer because I learned more about the game, making images and myself than I ever expected. It was one of those experiences that take forever to sink in and make you sit back and say, "well, that happened." It was the best 5 days of my college career and to have shared it with some of my best friends is more than I could have asked for. I learned that there is no limit to how far I can push myself, both photographically and personally. If for nothing else, I came away from Washington D.C. with a new-found confidence in my work that I had not had before. I knew that being a photographer was what I wanted to do, but after that game and what I produced I realized that I had the capacity to actually be a photographer. All it took was a minute of magic and a floating puck.

No comments:

Post a Comment