Wednesday, April 8, 2009

In the Wee hours of the Morning...

There is no photo for today, because it is 1 AM and I should be writing a paper. Instead, I am reveling in the excitement of my first day as a Red Sox photo intern and waiting in anticipation for a much needed trip to Washington DC. It's days like these - weeks like this - that reaffirm why I want to be a photojournalist.

I walked into work today and realized I wasn't really working. I get paid to take photos of baseball and involving baseball for the next 6-7 months. My stomach was filled with butterflies and the adrenaline from the excitement was incredible as I walked around Fenway Park documenting Opening Day. I was in awe, and in my element. I hope I never stop feeling that way about what I do, because that will be the day I have to stop.

Now - once I finally decide to stop procrastinating and write my history paper - I will be on my way to Washington D.C. to shoot the Frozen Four. I have wanted to cover this team since the day I started BU, and to get this season, a season of incredible feats and undying desire, has been an incredible gift. This team is the type of team photographers dream of following. It is rare these days to have a photographer on a sports team beat in the "real world" (unless they work for the team). I have watched this team play all year. I know how they play, who does what moves and where the puck is going to go. After 43 games, it is still exciting; it still draws me in.

These two events don't just give me the opportunity to make great images, but put me in a position to document life. It isn't just a baseball or hockey game. These games, the people that play them and the people that watch them all have a story - a story I can tell with one image.

It is days like this and weeks like these that take away my doubt. I was meant to do this. I was meant to be a photographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment