Tuesday, February 10, 2009

57th Annual Beanpot

Last night, Boston's four Division one hockey teams played the final round of the 2009 Beanpot Tournament at TD Bank North Garden. The Beanpot, aside from the Frozen Four, is the one game I have wanted to shoot since I got to BU - it is the highlight of the hockey season, and this year a break from the constant grind of school work. In an effort to shoot the best I could for the Championship game between BU and Northeastern, numbers 1 and 3 respectively in the nation, I brought my camera into the stands to shoot a bit of the consolation game between harvard and BC.


As soon as I go this shot of Harvard goalie Ryan Carroll (35) making a glove save on a shot by Boston College's Cam Atkinson (13) I knew it was going to be a good night. You can see the Garden logo on the puck in Carroll's glove.

I had to do some negotiating to get the hole I wanted in the glass, but I was at BU's shooting end for the first period and got some spectacular shots. I also continued my love affair with the 14mm...

Unfortunately, one of the referees, Scott Jansen, got hit in the face with a puck in the corner where I was stationed. He was hit near the eye, maybe directly in the eye, and there was blood everywhere. I kept shooting, but it was hard to watch him in so much pain.

The game continued and Northeastern put up a fight through the first two periods. Then Jason Lawrence (21), continuing on his spectacular senior season, netted what would become the game-winning goal on NU goalie Brad Thiessen (39) halfway through the second period.

After 2 more shorthanded goals hit the back of Northeastern's net, the Terriers skated to a 5-2 win and their 29th Beanpot title. The celebration on the ice was sweet, but most likely short lived as this team has bigger plans and higher goals to achieve. Nonetheless, the Beanpot is back at BU and the scarlet and white hangs from the Garden roof for another year.

Boston Channel 5 sports reporter Mike Lynch was one of the first to interview Jason Lawrence (21) after the game. The first line of Lawrence, Chris Higgins (10) and Colin Wilson (33) is one of the best in the league.

Junior defenseman Eric Gryba (2) celebrates with the Beanpot as the crowd looks on.

No comments:

Post a Comment